Guardianship & Conservatorship

If you are an adult in Idaho and become unable to make your own decisions in life due to injury, illness, or some other form of incapacity, there are two basic ways in which another person becomes the stand-in decision maker for you. The first way is through the use of a previously written and signed Power of Attorney Document in which you will have stated who it is that should make your decisions for you if you cannot do so. That stand-in decision maker is called your “Agent” or your “Attorney in Fact.” However, if you have not previously completed valid Power of Attorney documents, a judge will need to appoint someone to become your decision maker through a court process known as Guardianship and Conservatorship. If a judge has to appoint your stand-in decision maker, that person will be called your “guardian” and/or “conservator.” 

At Kootenai Law Group we assist people with guardianship and conservatorship matters, as well as creating the documents necessary to avoid guardianship and conservatorship. We would be happy to schedule a free, no obligation initial meeting with you to discuss these matters.

Contact us here or call (208) 494-9359

Name *
Phone *
Please let us know how we can help you.